MS Social Contract
Breck Middle School Mission Statement
The Breck Middle School is designed to meet the needs of early adolescents as they experience the emergence of their own independence. It is a community in which this process of growth is respected, demanded and celebrated.
The following essential characteristics of the Middle School reflect our beliefs and values:
- engaging students in a challenging liberal arts curriculum;
- directing the development of a sense of personal accountability;
- offering the opportunity to make developmentally appropriate decisions, take risks, succeed and fail in an atmosphere of encouragement and support;
- promoting respect for self and others;
- fostering a sense of security and stability through friendships and membership in the Middle School community;
- identifying opportunities for the expression of an ever-growing social awareness and conscience;
- helping students to appreciate and profit from the diversity that characterizes the Breck community;
- collaborating with students and their families to form a partnership that will contribute to the maturation of students;
- encouraging each student to come to grips with his or her own spiritual being and values; and
- holding advocacy for adolescents at the center of all that we do.
The Middle School Social Contract
Membership in the Middle School community presumes a commitment to respectful, honest, and responsible behavior. Certainly academic skills and intellectual growth are at the heart of what we are as a school, but as a school we are also deeply committed to modeling, teaching, and reinforcing attitudes and behaviors that reflect the high regard we have for ourselves, each other, the work we do together, and the place in which we gather to do it. The Middle School is a place in which we may learn and practice appropriate social interactions and feel encouraged and supported in our efforts. The following are the six expectations of the social contract we make with each other at the beginning of each year:
- We will have respect for self and others.
- We will have respect for personal and community property.
- We will be respectful in our use of language.
- We will exhibit academic integrity.
- We will be honest with each other.
- We will be responsible for our actions.